All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Mix Recipe

This is the first post that I wrote for this blog and it was time for an update. I’ve added the weights of the flours and changed a few of the alternative ingredients to reflect the flours I use now. Even six years later, this flour mix is still my first choice when I’m converting a recipe to gluten-free status. ~Mary Frances 3/20/13

My homemade gluten free all-purpose flour mix is the gluten free item for which I most often reach. After almost ten years of cooking gluten free, I am amazed at how well this mix works in so many different recipes.

When I make gluten free biscuits with this mix, they taste like biscuits. When I make gluten free pancakes, they taste like pancakes. I’ve even made onion rings with this! I know I’m a geek, but this really is exciting!

When I first started cooking gluten free foods, I bought a basic gluten free cookbook and rushed home to bake some goodies for my husband. I eagerly flipped to the section on flour blends and was incredibly disappointed to find that I did not have any of the ingredients on hand, and had no idea where to buy them.

You’ve probably had the same experience!

Eventually I developed my own gluten free flour mixthat uses gluten free flours that are relatively inexpensive and widely available in grocery stores. That’s the recipe that you’ll find below. Many of the baking recipes on the blog (and in my cooking classes) utilize this gluten free flour mix.

Gluten Free Cooking School’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix

210 g (approx. 1.5 cups) brown rice flour
195 g (approx. 1.5 cups) corn starch or tapioca flour
110 g (approx. 1 cup) sorghum flour or garfava flour
55 g (approx. 1/2 cup) masa harina

I’ve added links to the recipe so that you can see what options are available and purchase the ingredients online if you cannot find them locally.

The brands that I use are Bob’s Red Mill brown rice flour, sorghum flour, garfava flour; Argo cornstarch; Maseca masa harina, and Bob’s Red Mill or EnerG tapioca starch.

Tips for Measuring Gluten Free Flour

This recipe has been on the blog for years, and it was originally given as a volumetric ratio of 3:3:2:1. That is, I would use 3 cups brown rice flour, 3 cups corn starch, 2 cups sorghum flour and 1 cup masa harina. Or if I wanted a small batch of flour, then I would grab a 1/4 cup measure and use 3/4 cup each of brown rice flour and corn starch, 1/2 cup sorghum flour, and 1/4 c. masa harina.

While you’re still welcome to follow that ratio, I have since begun measuring by weight instead of volume. Weight measurments are much more accurate for flours, and if I measure by weight and you measure by weight, then we’re much more likely to get the same results with my recipes. That’s a good thing!

The only disadvantage to weighing this flour mix is that the weights are not easy to remember. Make life easy on yourself and jot down the weights on a piece of paper and tape it to the inside of a drawer or cabinet in the part of the kitchen where you do your baking.

Instructions for Mixing and Storing Gluten Free Flour Mixes

Combine all the flours in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. If you’re new to mixing flours, the goal here is to not see any clumps or streaks of indiviual flours. By the time you’re done it should be one homogeneous bowl of flour. Transfer the flour to a canister or other air-tight storage container and you’re done!

Since I use this mix so often, I usually make up a very large batch and store it in a large canister so that it’s ready whenever I decide to bake. I do keep my flour canister on the counter, but I go through it pretty quickly. If you don’t bake often, then you may have better luck storing the flour in a freezer bag in the freezer, so that the flours do not become rancid.

Comments

1. I would also be interested in yeast gluten free breads if anyone has a recipe.

2. This recipe was given to me using Buckwheat flour, which I’m not at all a fan of.

I just substituted Mary Frances’ flour mixture for the buckwheat, but if you like buckwheat, by all means, use it. If you want it for sandwiches, just leave out the raisins and Cinnamon.

4 to 4 1/2 cups flour
    * 2 Tbsp raw sugar
    * 1 teaspoon sea salt
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 4 Tbsp butter or virgin olive oil
    * 1 cup raisins
    * 1 tsp. cinnamon
    * 1 egg, lightly beaten
    * 2 cups buttermilk

1. Preheat the oven to 230C/450F/Gas 8 and put your oven shelf up high.
    2. Sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Mix well by lifting the dry ingredients up into your hands and then letting them fall back into the bowl through your fingers. This adds more air and therefore more lightness to your finished bread. Lightly whisk the egg and rice (or nut) milk together.
    3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in most of the egg and milk at once. Using one hand, with your fingers stiff and outstretched (like a claw!), stir in a full circular movement from the centre to the outside of the bowl in ever-increasing circles, adding a little more egg and milk mixture if necessary. The dough should be softish, not too wet and sticky.
    4. The trick with soda bread is not to over-mix the dough. Mix it as quickly and as gently as possible, thus keeping it light and airy. When the dough all comes together, roll lightly in the bowl for a few seconds – just enough to tidy it up. Pat the dough into a round, pressing it to about 5cm/2in in height.
    5. Place the dough on a baking tray dusted lightly with brown rice flour. With a sharp knife cut a deep cross in it to mark out 4 large pieces, letting the cuts go over the sides of the bread.
    6. Bake in the oven at 230C/450F/Gas 8 for five minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180C/350F/Gas 4 for a further 45 minutes or until cooked. If in doubt, tap the bottom of the bread. If it is cooked, it will sound hollow. If the top doesn’t brown, put the loaf under the grill to brown it (keep an eye on it). Remove from the oven and transfer the loaf from the baking tray onto a wire rack to cool.
    7. Serve freshly baked, cut into the four thick pieces. Spread with coconut oil/butter, if desired.

3. Thanks Diana but my daughter wont touch anything with soy or wheat. I am assumming buckwheat is wheat… I dont know for sure.

4. @Alice,

Buckwheat is actually a grass, not wheat, but the name is confusing. You can replace soy flour with sorghum flour (I do, as I’m not fond of soy flour). The flavour is as close to wheat flour as I’ve tasted since entering the gluten-free world. I hope this helps.

5. Yes Diana, it does help. Now, I have to convince my daughter that it is not wheat. Thanks for all the information. ;)

6. @alice,

Why don’t you use Mary Frances’ flour mix, substituting the sorghum for the soy flour? That way, you don’t have to do any convincing? It only tastes close to wheat flour, without containing any.

7. rfaulkner06 says:

I made my first loaf of bread in the breadmachine using the bread recipe Really Good Sandwhich Bread. It didn’t rise much. My machine has a GF button an that is what it was baked on. I did put one packet and 3/4 teaspoon more yeast in it maybe that is what is wrong. It was Flet Rapid rise. And the water was the right temp with a themometer. It did get foamy too. So what should I do? Should I not use the GF setting? It was a treat even to eat this with some jam on it.

• I made a loaf this week that didn’t rise either, so it may just be the current weather conditions in Birmingham. I’d give it another shot on the GF setting once the weather has changed and see if that makes a difference. If not, try mixing the ingredients before putting them in the bread machine so that you can make sure that the xanthan gum develops properly

8. rfaulkner06 says:

Also I once had a recipe for a cheese sauce to make and put over vegs like brussel sprouts, but I can’t find it. I would think that you could make a rough from the flour mix? And then add the cheese and milk maybe? Help.

• here’s a rough recipe for cheese sauce: 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp flour mix, enough milk to get the right consistency, grated cheese to taste. So, melt the butter, whisk in the flour, cook for a minute for so, whisk milk in gradually (adding more as needed as the sauce thickens), then add grated cheddar cheese to taste. My mom used to make this for broccoli, and would substitute broccoli water for some of the milk.

9. rfaulkner06 says:

10. I have made several loafs of this bread; in fact, I have one baking right now. I don’t have a GF breadmaker, so I just turn my oven on 200 for about 30 seconds to get it slightly warm, then shut it off. I use my Kitchenaide to mix the batter (dough) for about 3-5 minutes, then I transfer it to a greased bread pan. I put it in the oven to rise for 20 minutes. I take it out of the oven for a minute while my oven preheats to 375 degrees, then I put the bread in the oven for 60 minutes. It rises beautifully and has fantastic flavour.

11. somebody help me please, I need to know if I can use STEVIA or AGAVE NECTOR in a homemade lemon merigue pie ??????If so how much ????

12. @Joyce,

I have found Stevia absolutely hideous tasting in any great amount, but Agave I have used cup for cup instead of processed sugar. Is it the merangue you want to use it for? If so, that may present a problem, since it’s liquidy. If it’s in the lemon filling, I can’t see a problem.

Diana

13. I have found a product called sevita that does not have the bitter aftertaste that stevia has. The only place I can find it is on line. Just google in stevita and see what you can find.
    Mary Francis, I love this discussion group – have learned so much about different flours. Thank you.

14. How long can you keep the coconut flour, and does it need to be
    stored in the refrigerator?

15. rfaulkner06 says:

Do you have a recipe for GF Cocoanut Cake and macaroons?

16. Hi
    I came across your website browsing for anything gluten free as I’ve recently discovered I am. I make biscuits and cakes for markets and thought of trying out some of my “normal” recipes with gluten free flour, however, the ready made GF flours you buy at the supermarket cost a fortune even through the supplier. I will definitely give your recipe a try, but could you tell me what I can substitute the brown rice flour with as I experimented with it recently and the biscuits turned out dard brown. Also would you have a recipe for Self Raising Flour Mix, I live in Australia and Gluten Free is only recently becoming very common, there isn’t much information out there. I’ve noticed that the US if quite advanced in this area.
    I’m hoping for get my biscuit and cake recipes right and start selling them to gourmet shops. Sorry for all the rambling and thankse for reading.

• @ Renee: I generally only work with brown rice flour so I can’t offer a substitute, but I’m not sure that is your problem. The biscuits that I make using brown rice flour and corn starch come out very light and do not get as golden brown on top as biscuits made from white wheat flour.

To make self-rising flour add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to 1 c. of my flour mix.

17. I just want to share, something that I am sure others have also shared, I buy my rice flour and tapioca flour at Asian food markets. The rice flour is very fine. You can also get glutenous (spelling is bad) rice flour, which I believe is made from sticky rice and has no gluten in it at all. I can buy a pound of rice flour for 1.50 and a pound of tapioca flour for .99. When I make biscuits, I use a combination of the white rice flour and brown rice flour- he expensive one (along with tapioca flour and potato starch) -and two tsp of xanthan gum. For the liquid I use rice milk that has been treated with vinegar (1 tsp vinegar for every cup milk alternative and let stand for a minumum of 5 minutes before using) (alternative for dairy buttermilk) My biscuits turn out awsome! Will send recipe if Mary Frances is willing.

18. You can buy potato starch at the Asian grocery store as well. We stopped using Bob’s Red Mill products as they weren’t organic anyway so there was no reason to use them. The only organic rice flour that is on the market where I live is very gritty so there is no advantage to using it.
    Lori

19. Hello – I’m trying to find a flour mix to replace the Bob’s Red Mill one I currently use – although my 1 year old will eat muffins made with it, I think it is too “beany” tasting! Your mix looks good, except that she is also allergic to rice and soy…yes, rice! So, for her we avoide wheat, rice, oats, barley, dairy and soy (plus we avoid egg & dairy for my son’s allergies – yep, baking is a bit challenging here). Any suggestions would be helpful…thanks.

• @Kim: The cookbook “The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy” by Bette Hagman has quite a few bread recipes that are rice, soy, gluten, and dairy free. They do contain eggs, but at least you’d only have to be doing one substitution. Hope that helps!

20. I am new to gluten-free cooking as well. My husband is gluten, wheat, & soy intolerant. Myself and our two children have always eaten wheat. Recently, my husband and I have decided to take the whole family completely wheat, gluten, and dairy free. Eventually, we would also like to remove eggs and sugar completely. I have been doing alot of research on gluten-free baking to try to come up with a good flour recipe for sandwich, dinner rolls, and pastries. This website has been very helpful – as it saved me alot of trial and error. I enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and am glad to know there are people all over the world trying to cut wheat and gluten as a diet staple. I just ordered Bette Hagman’s “The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread”. I have alot to learn because I am not an avid baker.

Mary Frances’ comments about the addtions to make a self-rising flour should be used for biscuits and what other baked goods?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

21. Mary Frances:
    I too am new at gluten free baking. My 4 1/2 year old son was just diagnosed with celiac disease (and I’m pretty positive he’s not the only one in the house–so everyone is going gluten free). I tried Bob’s Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour and OMG I wanted to throw up. The pancakes tasted like bile or something!! My husband who was the trendsetter for GF said it was pretty bad. My 4 1/2 year old loved the pancakes, though. Must not have developed taste buds! I am eager to try your mix….but I was wondering what I could substitute the masa harina with ( I know I’ll taste the corn) and do you need xanthan gum in your recipe?? I am going to use sorghum intead of soy (just because I have heard rave reviews about sorghum) and I understand I can use potato starch instead of corn starch (only because I already bought the potato). What do you recommend my ratios be…. Thank you so much.
    Brandi

22. Sorry I forgot to mention…it was the tapioca flour that made my husband & I want to throw up!! I figured that out by individually tasting the flours in Bob’s mix. Yuck!!! I used a diffrent mix for chewy chocolate chip cookies that used the tapioca flour and those were good. My culinary spouse thinks it’s because there is a ton of butter and sugar in those bad boys!! Oh, and of course the kids loved those too!!

23. Hi Everyone: I’ve been going through some of the comments and like the idea of trying coconut flour for cake/cupcake style recipes. However, my big goal for this year is to come up with a good gluten-free pie crust. I know it can be done and I’d sure appreciate having something that is workable and tastes good too. I was a great pie baker before I started a gluten free diet.

24. rfaulkner06 says:

can I use the flour mix for the usual method of making drop dumplings for stews? What about cocoanut cake?

25. I’m also new at all this and unfortunately after reading all the helpful comments I cant find what I need. We are gluten, corn, potatoes, shorgum and soy free. What kind of mix can I do without all these, potatoes and corn seems to be everywhere?!
    Thanks,
    Ellie xx

26. Ellie, It looks like you could do 3 parts brown rice flour, 3 parts tapioca starch, 2 parts garfava flour, and 1 part almond flour. It will be a bit more expensive than my mix, but all of these flours are available at the Bob’s Red Mill website. If you’re not crazy about garfava flour, try substituting a white bean flour.

27. Brand new to this and loaded with questions. I’m not a fan of soy and haven’t found any sorghum flour in my brief experience in the gf world. Can coconut flour be used in the all purpose blend, or would it be too strong in taste for most cooking (thinking here of savory type recipes)?

Thanks so much! I’ve learned a lot in the past few days from reading here. :)

28. rfaulkner06 says:

Is potatoe starch flour, potatoe flakes from instant potatoes ground up? I am illiterate to the flours and need advice. And tapioca starch, can you get that in the super market? I know they sell tapioca, but I have never taken the time to see if they have the flour. I have a book that gives gluten free recipes and they have a mix that I would like you to see and tell me if it will work or it will be to grainny or strong before I go out an buy the flours it requires. It goes 2 parts white rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch flour, 1/3 part tapioca flour. And when it calls for parts how would that break down to cups? Rita

• @rfaulkner06: As far as I know, potato starch is not ground up potato flakes. Potato starch and tapioca starch/flour are typically found at specialty grocery stores that carry a wide-range of gluten free flours, or through mail-order sources such as Bob’s Red Mil.

29. @Rita.

If the ratio of the flours that you mentioned above is correct, you could use a cup to represent a “part”, giving you 2 Cups white rice flour, 2/3 Cup potato starch flour and 1/3 tapioca flour.

Diana

30. @rita,

I get all of my flours at the bulk store here in town. They have a pretty good variety of gluten free flours and starches.

In my previous message, I meant to write “1/3 Cup tapioca flour”. I recognized this as soon as I submitted it, but messages can’t be edited once they’re sent, to correct my ooops.

Diana

31. rfaulkner06 says:

Lets try this again, my connection was lost. My husband had a visit with the allergist today. He had gone to a gastro doctor earlier. He has had tests that shows nothing so far with the gastro doctor with a cat scan a colonoscopy, and blood work. He has constant stomache cramps and diarrhea after eating any meal any type of food almost. Especially when we go out to eat, but as well as if we eat at home. The allergist was the last resort. He told my hubby that he needed to go on a gluten free diet which my husband said i was already on. Is there anyone out there that can relate to these symptoms or know of someone who has this problem and what they have been diagnosed with? I have been told by the gastro doctor it was IBS, what exactly is it. Is it just a term to catch all when they don’t know what is wrong with you? Is there a specific medication he should be on specific to IBS all they put him on was Lomotil to stop the diarrhea. Heck, the pain pills will have the effect to constipate you so that should have helped that way and it didn’t. I am so sorry about the subject matter everyone!! I need some direction. Thank you. Rita

• Rita, here’s the link to the post where I tell about being diagnosed with a wheat allergy instead of celiac. I was having lots of stomach cramps and diarrhea too, and the gastro said it was IBS. However, it turned out to be a wheat allergy.

I Don’t Have Celiac!!

32. @Rita,

No apologies necessary for the subject matter, as all of us have difficulties in some area of digestion, otherwise, we wouldn’t be here.

A question I have is, has he been checked for lactose intolerance? I have heard and read that if raw milk (unpasturized) is ingested, that there wouldn’t be anything called lactose intolerance, as the pasturization process kills all vitamins and enzymes needed for digestion. Then, they put some back in it and call it “enriched”. It’s so much healthier unpasturized. I’m searching for it where I live, but in Canada, it’s illegal to sell it, so it’s very difficult to find.

33. Melanie says:

Rita,
    Try an elimination diet — take out the gluten, dairy, eggs, and other things that may be upsetting the tummy. Some other foods/ingredients to consider are soy and msg. Start a diet diary, which includes all foods, snacks, and drinks, followed by reactions and comments on general well-being. This will also be helpful to the allergist. Try going organic as much as possible, as this keeps the body cleaner.
    I am gf and soy free. My flour blend is a mixture of rice, tapioca starch, corn starch, masa harina and xanthan gum. It can be a frustrating process to determine what the problem is. Hang in there.

34. Melanie says:

Rita,
    And read the labels on everything you eat, including the seasonings and spices! Might be an idea to eat at home, or eat only homemade food for a while.

35. rfaulkner06 says:

Mary Frances, looked at the site, and was quite informed. I was sickly growing up. after being on my, I had some testing done. Allergies to wool, tomatoes, chocolate, grass, mold, mildew, dust mites and some plastic compounds. Then had moved to Florida and had more tests after moving back to my state of childhood. I aquired allergies to trees. Bad part is I bought a house with 50 of the ones I was allergic to before I knew I was allergic to them. I figured out I have to watch what I drink too. I am not a party person, but at times I will have a drink. I couldn’t drink things with Gin, But I could Vodka. Vodka is filtered a number of times. I can’t drink some wines, especially the ones in oak barrel processing. When I was a baby longggg ago, I had a problem with milk, formula. I had to be on goats milk. Now I also have allergies to medications, anesthesia is among the list. To have my teeth worked on I have to go under general anesthesia. A dentist won’t even touch me. It is amazing that as long as the dental field has been in existance they don’t seem like they have evolved much in research for anesthesia types of products. I was given all the “canes” in various doses, with and without preservatives and childrens doses and still felt numb from the top of my head to the center of my chest. I would be hooked up to all kinds of monitors. Then the nitrous oxide laughing gas, that was a laugh. I didn’t know that you were suppose to be able to open your eyes while under. I couldn’t open mine. Then one day while I was under everything went black and I passed out. I was given oxygen for a few hours before I could leave the office. And with windows open in the winter to feel able to drive, stopped in the ER to be put on oxygen for a couple more hours. So my system has not tollerated a few things. Most of it has been after a thyroid problem unless that was just a coincidence. I am not a good speller. I hope my adult kids aren’t this bad I have a grandson who is 9 and is starting with the allergies. Thank you all for you input and suggestions. I will be using them.

36. Hi,
    We are limited in the types of flours we can have – amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat, arrowroot, tapioca, sorghum & corn. Both my husband & I can’t have yeast.
    It’s tough finding GF bread/cracker because they all have
    rice or soy that we can’t have.
    Do you have suggestion for a flour mix that doesn’t have rice flour?
    Thanks
    Pei

37. Hi All
    I cannot get the MASA HARINA ingredient for the all purpose flour here in nz.

What does this ingredient do? Can I miss it out?

Can I substitute something? If so what?

I would welcome the help

Kind regards J

38. I can completely sympathize with rfaulkner06…I assume you’re the “Rita” people have replied to? I had years and years of being half sick all the time. I would eat and have to run to the bathroom, not eat and still go to the bathroom. It got to where I didn’t want to make any plans unless I knew there was a private bathroom where I was going. I was diagnosed with IBS, which seems to me to be a kind of “we don’t know exactly what’s wrong, so here’s a label” diagnosis. Anyway, about 5 years ago I went to a nutritionist for some guidance on controlling my blood sugar, and she caught the gluten intolerance. We did an elimination diet, except all I eliminated was gluten, and within 2 weeks I felt better than I had felt since I was 9 years old! Well worth the time, effort, and money. Do I have Celiac’s? I don’t know, I’ve never had a biopsy done. But I do know that most days I feel good, which is enough for me. Stick with your efforts, be patient, be diligent (watch out for hidden gluten, modified food starch, etc., not to mention cross contamination) and you and your husband will feel better. And I agree about maybe being lactose intolerant. I’m not, but I call it “lactose annoyed”. If I have too much milk product over a couple days, my body lets me know it’s annoyed with me. Anyway, good luck!

39. hi
    I want to thank you for all your hard work and for sharing.

My question is why do some people on a gluten free diet also go on a soy free diet? What is the deal with soy free. I eat soy yogurt due to the fact that it helps relieve my hot flashes.

Also what is casein free (did I spell that right)?

• @Gloria: Great questions! Soy is actually one of the top 9 allergens in the U.S, so a lot of the requests for gluten and soy free recipes are from people that have issues with both foods. Other people do not eat soy because they don’t like the taste, or because they have read that is harmful.

Casein is a protein in cow milk,so all casein-free recipes do not contain any dairy products. Some people with autism respond favorable to a gluten free, casein-free diet. Milk is also one of the top 9 allergens, so a lot of people that are gluten free also have issues with dairy products, and so are on a gluten free, casein free diet.

40. Kristin says:

Hi. I am new to this website and like it very much. I would like to know if you have a recipe for Cinnamon Breakfast Bread using Mary’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour blend? Thanks. Keep up the good work!!

• @Kristen: IFor a cinnamon bread recipe, check Comment #105 on the Finally Good Sandwich Bread post – you can find a link to it in the right sidebar

41. Juanita Thomas says:

My food sensitivities run rampant, and it is so hard to find recipes that omit things I can’t eat!

This recipe is very flexible; I have used rice, amaranth, spelt, and wheat flour. I have also used a variety of oils, as they are important, too. Here is the original recipe. (Be sure to follow directions.) My favorites are brown rice flour and olive oil. I don’t have the touch to make it really pretty, as it is kind of fragile and breaks. (Some of you talented cooks, help me with this.) However, I love the taste with my egg free, sugar free, soy free, mgm free, milk free, pumpkin pie! I haven’t tried it will my apple pie recipe, but will this week.
    I like a 9.5″ pie pan, but you have more crust to work with in an 8″ pan. For pumpkin or apple pie, put filling in unbaked shell.

Pie Crust
    1 c plus 2 T flour
    1/2 t salt
    1/3 c salad oil
    2-3 T cold water

Shape dough into flattened ball. Place flattened dough between two 15 inch strips of waxed paper. (tape two together if needed. I have also used plastic wrap.)

Wipe table with wet cloth to prevent paper from slipping. Roll pastry 3″ larger than inverted pie pan. Peel off top paper. Place pastry, paper-side up, in pan. Peel off top paper. Ease pastry loosely into pan.

Trim 1″ from the rim of pan and fold excess under – even with pan. Flute edges.

Bake 12-15 minutes at 475 degrees.

42. chelle webb says:

How long can you store these type of flours in a airtight container?
    I bought some tupperware ones at a garage sale thinking they might work! But, someone suggested putting it in the freezer if you don’t use it fast enough>? So, what is the rule of thumb,,,,,,,,,use it or freeze it by?

• @Chelle: My rule of thumb is a couple of weeks in the pantry, a month in the refrigerator and 6 months in the freezer. I don’t know that there’s any science behind that though =)

43. Juanita Thomas says:

Pei,
    I have a cook book that would be a help to you. It lists many recipes with different kinds of flour in the same recipe! It also teaches on oils, egg replacement, and other problem issues. It is not hard to use, and has been very helpful to me. The book is “Allergy and Candida Cooking.” It is by Sondra Lewis with Dorie Fink. She discusses many health issues other than allergy and candida. My allergy clinic recommended it.
    Sondra has allergies herself and is a scientist and a doctor. She has done a lot of research. He web site is http://www.canaryconnect.com. 319-338-3827 I have received personal emails from her.

44. Juanita Thomas says:

About my pie recipe in #157, I discoverd something. This week I made it with Amaranth flour, rolled it between parchment paper, added a little more olive oil, until less crumbley, and baked it in an aluminum pan instead of glass. It worked super well!

45. Juanita Thomas says:

About my pie recipe in #157, I discovered something. This week I made it with Amaranth flour, rolled it between parchment paper, added a little more olive oil, until less crumbley, and baked it in an aluminum pan instead of glass. It worked super well!

46. Juanita Thomas says:

Rita,
    Am thinking about your husband’s problem. Elemination diets may help, but not always, because sometimes it takes up to 48 hours for allergies to show up that way! Somethings are obvious, some are not.
    When I was tested, they found 22 food sensitivities, many of which I had no idea.
    One thing that is helpful is to leave out “anything you can’t pronounce” on the ingredients label. In other words, mixes are out, unless they are from the health food store, and then you have to read it carefully! These things don’t show up on a test, but are very real threats.
    Praying for you, girl. There are answers, but sometimes it takes awhile to find them.
    This chat room is an excellent place to start! Thanks to Mary Frances and many others, I have recently found solutions to problems that I had not found other places.

47. Juanita Thomas says:

I close out now to prepare for my husbands birthday: Enchilladas and chocolate sour cream cake are on the menu. They are a lot of trouble and I cannot eat a bit of them! Girls, this is the hardest part of the whole situation for me. I will take out some meat and spices before I add the tomato sauce and then I will make mine with a rice tortilla with white cheese instead of colby. (I even like it now, but it took some getting used to!) There is no substitute for the cake, except that I made a banana bread recipe yesterday, so will at least have some dessert. Every meal that I fix is like this one; eating out or at pot luck dinners are are hard, too, and it really got to me at first. Then there are the “loving” doubters who think there is nothing to it, and I am just a fanatic.
    I am so refreshed to read of all of your interest in hitting the problems head on and having a cheerful, thankful attitude that there can be solutions to the problems!
    God bless you every one!

48. Juanita Thomas says:

Alice #108
    For yeast free recipes, see #161. Yeast is one of my big problems, both as an allergy and in Candida! There IS help, but lots of adjustments to make!

49. I just ordered a book called Gluten-Free Baking with The Culinary Institute of America by Richard J. Coppedge & Chookazian, George. I graduated from the CIA in 1977. I have wanted to take one of their gluten free baking courses for a few years now but they are always at an inopportune time and very expensive when you take into consideration lodging and food. I’ll let you know how the recipes work!

50. Michele Bush says:

I have problems with all corn and potato products, as well as gluten and wheat, so I am looking for a bread recipe or all purpose flour recipe without corn or potato starch. Is there such a recipe?

Trackbacks