Tender Gluten Free Biscuits
(Yield: 12 – 16 large biscuits)
6.5 oz. brown rice flour
10 oz. corn starch or tapioca starch
2.5 oz. sorghum flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. xanthan gum
6 oz. butter or shortening(chilled in the freezer)
16 oz. buttermilk (or substitute non-dairy milk + 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar)
1 large egg, beaten
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl thoroughly combine the flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum.
3. Grate the butter into the flour using the small holed side of a box grater. Mix the butter into the flour so that there are no large balls of grated butter.
4. Add the vinegar and beaten egg to the flour. Gradually add the buttermilk and stir until the dry and liquid ingredients are combined. You do not have to add all of the buttermilk – stop once the dough has reached the consistency that you want.
5.Put the dough onto a lightly floured surface and sprinkle with flour. Roll the dough out into a circle that is approximately 3/4″ thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits, being careful not to twist the cutter when you pull it out of the dough.
6. Roll the scraps from the first cutting back into a ball and roll out into a second round 3/4″ thick and cut additional biscuits.
7. Bake biscuits at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. When they are done the tops will be slightly golden and the top of the biscuits will be firm to the touch.
How did your biscuits come out? Be sure and let me know!
– Mary Frances