October 26, 2008
For the past few weeks. . . or maybe months, I’ve been in a holding pattern. I keep waiting for life to ease up, so that I can spend time cooking. I keep waiting to feel less queasy, and waiting for a clean house, and waiting for more energy, and waiting for a creative thought. And in the meantime not much is getting done. That’s depressing. And thinking about all of the things that need to be done and that I want to do is overwhelming.
This weekend I had a new thought. I realized that life was not necessarily going to get any easier in the near future. None of the pieces of life that make it full right now are things that I want to give up. But I need to enjoy living through them. This will be the only time that David is so excited about school buses, and the only time that John is launching this busines, and the only time that I will be pregnant with this child. I need to be present and enjoy this moment of my life.
And I realized that many of you are probably just as overwhelmed. And that it might help you to hear how I’m working through the same things. And that you might see that it’s still possible to put good gluten free food on the table every night in the midst of a full life. And it might help me accept that it’s okay to not create 3 new recipes every single week!
So in that spirit here are a few of the things that we’ve been eating lately. No recipes, no pictures, just a list to get my fingers and mind moving again =)
1. Apple Scones with a Pecan Crumb Topping
2. Red Pepper Hummus
3. Homemade Sushi Rolls with Tofu, Cucumber, and Apple (David loved these!)
4. Baked Potatoes topped with Okra & Tomato Stew
5. Potato Salad (one of my pregnancy cravings)
6. Portabella Sandwiches with Onion Gravy
7. Cornbread Dressing with Gravy
8. Pancakes with Maple Syrup
9. Thai Cashew Nut Tofu
10. Homemade Pizza topped with Mushrooms, Bell Peppers, Black Olives, and Sliced Mozzarella