I didn’t seem to scare anyone with my suggestion of adding black bean flour to chocolate cake, but I still thought I’d follow that post up with a more traditional cooked bean recipe.
Black Olive Hummus is my fall-back recipe when we need a quick appetizer. We always keep chickpeas and olives on hand and I can whip up a batch of this in less than five minutes for a hungry babe or hungry guests.
- 2 cans chickpeas, reserve liquid from one
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 5 sprigs cilantro
- 12 black olives, jumbo size
- salt, to taste
- lime juice, to taste
- Place the chickpeas (drained), tahini, garlic, cumin, and cilantro in a food processor. Turn the processor on and slowly pour in the reserved liquid, and then process for an additional 30 seconds or so. At this point you should have a thin, creamy dip.
- Stir in the salt and lime juice until you’re happy with the taste of the hummus. Then add in the olives and pulse the processor until the olives are broken up into small, but still visible, chunks.
- Spoon the hummus into a serving dish and sprinkle on a tad of paprika. If you’re not watching your fat intake you can also drizzle a small amount of good olive oil over the top.
P.S. Feel free to adjust any of the seasonings to taste. It’s taken me two years to write this post because it’s taken me that long to remember to actually measure the ingredients as I make it!
- As a dip for raw veggies, such as carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, grape tomatoes, and cabbage slices.
- Oozing out of a hummus sandwich. I love hummus sandwiches with a slice of good cheese, ripe tomato, lettuce, sliced avocado, and salt & pepper. (All served on slices of Gluten Free Sandwich Bread, of course.
- Spread on a slice of piping hot Multi-Grain Flat Bread.
- Mixed with a salad for a heart-healthy salad dressing.
P.S. If you don’t have all of the ingredients available, you can try this simpler hummus recipe. It won’t be quite as flavorful but will be a little easier to make. It’s gluten free as well.
And if that’s not enough, look at my recipes for other Gluten Free Snacks!