Summer Veggie Quesadillas Recipe
Another quesadilla recipe, this one combines tasty cheese with plenty of delicious summer vegetables. It’s a great way to get some less loved foods into your pickier kids, but you’ll love these, too!
After feeding and bathing a fussy toddler last night, I needed a quick and easy supper. Quesadillas made with corn tortillas are a old stand-by in our household, and since they have the advantage of not requiring an oven, that’s what we had.
I had a refrigerator full of vegetables from my visit to our local farmer’s stand on Saturday, so I decided to change up my recipe and make quesadillas with traditional summer veggies. This recipe may come in handy for those of you dealing with abundant quantities of zucchini and yellow squash. These quesadillas were lighter than my “Caramelized Onion and Bell Pepper Quesadillas”, and thus were perfect for a hot Alabama summer night.
The corn cakes in the top right-hand corner of the picture were particularly yummy and will be featured in my next post (probably Friday or Saturday). And, if you have left-over quesadillas, they are great for a brown-bag lunch the next day.
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1 medium zuchinni
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. McCormick Fajita Seasoning
- 8 oz. grated cheese
- 8 corn tortillas
- sour cream
- Dice the veggies into small pieces so that the smaller than normal corn quesadillas will stick together.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the veggies and fajita seasoning and saute until tender.
- Remove veggies to a bowl so that you can use the skillet to cook the quesadillas.
- Turn the skillet down to medium-low. Place one corn tortilla on the skillet; sprinkle it with cheese; spread two heaping spoonfuls (I used one of our soup spoons) of veggies on top of the cheese; sprinkle some more cheese on the veggies; top with another corn tortilla.
- Let the tortilla cook until you see that the cheese on the bottom of the quesadilla has melted. Then flip the quesadilla and let the other side cook until its cheese has melted too. Remove the quesadilla to a serving plate and repeat steps 4 and 5 until all of the veggies have been used.
- Top the quesadillas with sour cream, salsa, and cilantro and then enjoy their yummy goodness!