December 27, 2007
This post is the last in a 4-part series on Gluten Free Sugar Cookies. If you missed the first three, here they are:
Part 1: How to Cream Butter & Sugar
Part 2: To Cream or Not – The Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Trials
Part 3: My Basic Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Recipe
1. Tear off a couple of sheets of wax paper. Lay one down on a flat surface and lightly dust it with gluten free flour and sugar (very lightly!).
2. Shape your dough into a ball (or two balls if you think that will be easier to work with) and place the ball between the two sheets of wax paper. Flatten the ball a bit like this.
3. Place your rolling pin in the middle of the ball of dough (on top of the wax paper). Press down gently and roll the pin away from your body. Then bring the pin back to the middle of the dough and roll it toward your body. Be sure to use the same pressure on each rolling so that the dough is even.
4. Repeat Step 3 until the dough is about 1/8″ thick (see top picture). And take the “about” seriously. This is no time to be digging through drawers with floury hands in a vain search for a ruler =)
5. Take the sheet of dough (still in the wax paper) and refrigerate it for 15 minutes.
6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a hard surface. Remove the top piece of wax paper. Use a cookie cutter to cut out your cookies. Proceed according to your recipe’s directions.
You can re-roll the scraps that are left after you’ve cut the cookie dough. Or, if that seems like too much work, make little balls and then squash them flat with your hand or the bottom of a cup and cook them with the other cookies.
The wax paper really helps. I wouldn’t skip that step unless it’s an absolute cookie emergency =)