If you want a recipe, rather than a can of cream of mushroom soup, you’re already ahead of the crowd. Homemade soup has so much more flavor than the canned stuff.
For those of you who want to take a stab at making cream of mushroom soup, here is the recipe that I made in the How to Make Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup tutorial. I’ve named the recipe No. 1 because I’m sure that I will come up with other versions at some point. In fact, I’ll probably add a little garlic powder, sage, and thyme to this recipe the next time I make it. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your taste. That’s the beauty of making things yourself!
If you’re making cream of mushroom soup for the first time and are feeling a bit overwhelmed, you can always spread the work out. I would recommend making the sauce one weekend afternoon and then refrigerating it for use in a weeknight recipe. I saved half of the batch I made and used if for Green Bean Casserole two or three days later and it was yummy =)
Yield: equivalent of two cans of condensed soup, I think
16 oz. Portabella mushrooms (or any mushroom with a hearty flavor
1 tsp. olive oil
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 c. gluten free flour (I used brown rice flour because of its subtle flavor)
2 c. chicken or vegetable stock
1 1/2 c. light cream or half & half (or 1 1/8 c. plain soymilk + 3/8 c. canola oil)
squirt of lemon juice
white pepper to taste
a tiny pinch of nutmeg
1. Sauté mushrooms over medium-low heat in 1 tsp. of olive oil. Set the mushrooms aside once they have released their juices.
2. In a clean skillet, melt the 4 Tbsp. of butter. Once the butter is melted, gradually add the flour to the butter while constantly whisking.
3. Once you’ve added all of the flour, allow the roux to cook for a few minutes while you continue to whisk it.
4. Gradually began to add the stock to the roux. Add a little bit and whisk it in before you add any more. Once you’ve added all of the stock begin adding the cream.
5. After adding all of the cream, bring the sauce to a simmer and let it cook for one minute. Continue whisking since the sauce may continue to thicken. Add the sautéed mushrooms into the sauce, and you’re done.
Categories: Gluten Free Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes