Over the past week I’ve been working on simplifying our breakfasts. We’ve had a lot of smoothies, fruit salad, and toast and there will be some new recipes coming soon. This weekend I made a batch of "Gluten Free Drop Biscuits Recipe No. 2" and these black bean sausages.
You don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy these sausages. If you’re trying to increase your fiber, or cut back on the fat in your diet, these are a great choice. I’ve added all of the spices that are in pork sausage, so the flavor is very similar.
Black Bean Sausage Patties
2 tsp. canola oil
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 c. brown rice, cooked
1 can black beans, or 2 c. cooked
1/4 c. brown rice flour
2 tsp. rubbed sage
1 tsp. fennel seed, chopped
1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cumin
1. Heat 2 tsp. of canola oil in a large skill over medium heat. Saute the diced onions until they are soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Combine the black beans, brown rice, and onion in a food processor. Pulse until all items are well combined (i.e., no visibly whole pieces of bean)
3. Scoop the bean mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the flour and spices. Stir to combine.
4. To make the sausage patties, divide the bean mixture into twelve pieces and roll each piece into a ball. (A little flour on your hands will help with the stickiness.) Place one of the balls between your palms, and squash it into a pattie shape.
5. Add a little more oil to your skillet and turn it down to medium low. Add the black bean sausage patties to the pan, and brown on each side.