View the Original Post
Gluten Free Waffles Recipe
By: Mary Frances Pickett
Date: August 29, 2004
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 25 Min
Our family has found a new favorite weekend breakfast – gluten free waffles! You all know that we’ve been on the gluten free diet for years now, so that first bite of homemade waffles was absolute heaven! We stuffed ourselves!
The recipe is a conversion of the “Basic Waffles” recipe in Joy of Cooking. The only change that I made was to swap my gluten free flour mix for the all-purpose flour used in the original recipe. The original recipes lets you adjust the butter from as little a 4 Tbsp for a low-fat waffle to 16 Tbsp for a super yummy, my mouth is in bliss waffle. We’ve tried 8 and 16 Tbsp and 16 is definitely the way to go.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose Gluten Free All Purpose Flour mix
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs
- 16 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 c. milk (soy, cow, rice, etc)
- Mix first four ingredients together in large mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs together until frothy. Add the milk and stir again.
- Slowly pour the melted butter into the egg/milk mixture. Stir constantly to prevent the eggs from cooking.
- Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until all of the flour is wet. You don’t have to get all of the lumps out.
- Pour the batter onto a hot waffle iron. Follow the affle iron manufacturer’s directions for cooking. For ours we use 1/2 c. batter and let the waffle’s cook until there is no more steam coming out.
- Let your eggs and milk come to room temperature. If the eggs and milk are cold, then they will re-solidify the melted butter when you mix them together.
- These waffles are not sweet, so you can add sweet or savory toppings to them. You could also 1/4 – 1/2 cup of raisins, cheese, bacon, nuts, sliced bananas, grated coconut to the batter before cooking.
This recipe has been brought to you by the Gluten Free Cooking School.
Be sure to visit www.GlutenFreeCookingSchool.com for more great recipes and information about Gluten-free living!