View the Original Post
Black Bean Sausage Recipe
By: Mary Frances Pickett
Date: September 24, 2007
Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 15 Min
Over the past week I’ve been working on simplifying our breakfasts. We’ve had a lot of smoothies, fruit salad, and toast and there will be some new recipes coming soon. This weekend I made a batch of "Gluten Free Drop Biscuits Recipe No. 2" and these black bean sausages.
You don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy these sausages. If you’re trying to increase your fiber, or cut back on the fat in your diet, these are a great choice. I’ve added all of the spices that are in pork sausage, so the flavor is very similar.
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 c. brown rice, cooked
- 1 can black beans, or 2 c. cooked
- 1/4 c. brown rice flour
- 2 tsp. rubbed sage
- 1 tsp. fennel seed, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- Heat 2 tsp. of canola oil in a large skill over medium heat. Saute the diced onions until they are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the black beans, brown rice, and onion in a food processor. Pulse until all items are well combined (i.e., no visibly whole pieces of bean)
- Scoop the bean mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the flour and spices. Stir to combine.
- To make the sausage patties, divide the bean mixture into twelve pieces and roll each piece into a ball. (A little flour on your hands will help with the stickiness.) Place one of the balls between your palms, and squash it into a pattie shape.
- Add a little more oil to your skillet and turn it down to medium low. Add the black bean sausage patties to the pan, and brown on each side.
This recipe has been brought to you by the Gluten Free Cooking School.
Be sure to visit www.GlutenFreeCookingSchool.com for more great recipes and information about Gluten-free living!