View the Original Post
I can’t think of any more addictive bread for supper than gluten free Garlic & Cheese biscuits. These delicious gluten free biscuits are our favorite accompaniment to a bowl of steaming hot stew.
Be sure to make plenty, because these biscuits will disappear quickly. In fact, now that our children are getting older, I’d probably double this recipe. You would think that twelve biscuits would be enough for 5 people, but that would not account for how good these biscuits are and how much we all love them.
This recipe is based on my Drop Biscuits recipe and use my gluten free flour mix. If you’d like to make this casein free, just use vegetable shortening rather than butter, Follow Your Heart soy cheese, and vegan buttermilk (see below).
250 g or 9 oz (approx 2 c.) of my gluten free flour mix
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. xanthum gum
2 tsp. garlic powder
6 Tbsp. butter or shortening
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl thoroughly combine the flour mix, baking powder, salt, baking soda, xanthan gum and garlic powder.
3. Cut the butter, margarine, or shortening into the flour. (See the drop biscuit recipefor additional instructions, if needed.)
4. Stir in the cheese. Add the buttermilk and beaten egg to the flour and stir until the dry and liquid ingredients are combined.
5. Using a spoon, drop the dough onto a greased pan to make 12 biscuits. Cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
(Vegan Substitution: Replace the buttermilk with 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar plus enough non-dairy milk to equal one cup.)
This recipe has been brought to you by the Gluten Free Cooking School.
Be sure to visit www.GlutenFreeCookingSchool.com for more great recipes and information about Gluten-free living!