View the Original Post
Roasted Summer Veggies over Brown Rice Recipe
By: Mary Frances Pickett
Date: August 26, 2007
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 30 Min
Roasted Vegetables over Brown Rice is a great supper recipe for at least four reasons. One, it’s an easy recipe so it’s great for a night when you don’t want to cook. Two, you can roast the vegetables in a toaster oven and not heat up the kitchen. Three, this recipe will use up some of the ubiquitous zucchini and summer squash in your fridge. Four, the proportions are not exact. You can substitute whatever vegetables you have on hand. Five, if you already have leftover brown rice in the refrigerator, supper will be on the table in under thirty minutes. Wait, that’s five reasons. Oh well, that’s not a bad thing.
(Yield: 4 servings)
- 4 c. brown rice, cooked
- 1 c. onion, diced
- 1 1/2 c. zucchini, cut into half moons
- 1 1/2 c. summer squash, cut into half moons
- kernels from 2 ears of fresh corn, or 1 1/2 c. frozen
- 1 lb. white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 lb. asparagus
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- sea salt
- Put a pot of brown rice on to cook, if you haven’t already. Here’s a recipe for brown rice if you need it.
- Prepare the vegetables as detailed above and place all except the asparagus into a 9×13 casserole dish. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with sea salt. Toss the vegetables until they are well coated.
- Roast the vegetables at 450 degrees until the zucchini are fork tender. Then add the asparagus and roast for an additional five minutes.
- Serve the vegetables over hot brown rice with a drizzle of tamari
This recipe has been brought to you by the Gluten Free Cooking School.
Be sure to visit www.GlutenFreeCookingSchool.com for more great recipes and information about Gluten-free living!