Open Comments: What is your greatest gluten free need/challenge?

John and I were recently discussing what the greatest challenges/needs of a gluten free diet are. For us, it’s finding time to cook gluten free food at home, but since we, admittedly, do not have a typical lifestyle I wanted to get your input. Leave us a comment to let us know what your challenges are on a gluten free diet. What do you need to succeed on a gluten free diet?

By the way, Gluten Free Cooking School now has over 2400 readers! I’d love to see how many comments we can get on this one post. Who knows, maybe if you tell the universe what you need, you’ll get an answer =)

Comments

1. I travel a lot for both work and fun, and it gets tiring to have to bring so much of my own food or stick to plain salads and grilled chicken. More restaurants (especially in/around hotels) with more gf options and more nutritious, high-quality gf snacks in convenient stores would make life a lot easier for me.

Admittedly, I’ve been living outside of the U.S. for over a year. I’m excited for my next trip back to try some of the new dining options that have come up recently.

2. For me, it’s figuring out what to eat when I’m out and about and don’t have time to heat up leftovers for lunch due to meetings… Made far more tricky by being allergic to most people’s go-to foods (legumes, tree nuts, sunflower and sesame seeds).

Oopah.

3. My greatest challenge is finding packaged and processed products that are reliably GF. Beyond the dedicated GF companies, quality control seems to be iffy for other companies, or they don’t tell you about shared equipment and the like.

4. Ina Gawne says:

One of the challenges I face, is creating enough gluten free meals to freeze, for those days when I am too busy, working late, or too tired to cook.

The other big challenge….is TRAVEL!!!! If you are staying at a place that has a kitchen, then great! But what about customs? We are travelling from Seattle to Kona Hawaii in a few weeks…want to pack my own bread, pasta, and snacks but don’t know if Customs will allow gluten free food through the borders? Does anybody out there know??? Any help would be soooo appreciated!

5. The biggest challenge for me is making meals my family will enjoy, also. I am not a cook – never have been – and finding out I had celiac disease and couldn’t use wheat/gluten, was like a cruel joke. I’ve tried many recipes and have a few I stick with, but probably 80% of anything new I try does not turn out good. And my family ends up with another frozen dinner from the freezer.

The other challenge is attending neighborhood and church potluck dinners. I stand there with veggies in my plate and just watch everyone else enjoy.

6. I’d have to say time is my greatest challenge, too, that and simplicity. I make up large batches of the flour blends I use to help speed the process but sometimes it’s just daunting to pull out four bags of flour to make the flour to begin the cooking process. Sometimes I just feel overwhelmed looking at the bins full of packages of rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, etc. I’m sure I’ll feel better once I’ve gotten a better storage system in place. I really appreciate your site, though, it’s been a life-saver and my entire family now eats GF pizza!

7. I find that travel and simple convenience are the biggest challenges! Not to sound like a broken record, but it seems as though this is the biggest challenge for everyone going G-Free! Nothing is simple anymore when it comes to planning trips, being on the road for work, etc.Even if they are quick overnighters! I’ve found that hardboiled eggs are a great quick and simple fix to fullfilling a hunger pain or two when your on the go. I’m from a small town, and the term Gluten is next to unheard of, so “G-Free” doesn’t exist in restaurants in my town. It’s so difficult, but saving grace has been Wegmans, my local (nearest one is 35 minutes away from my home) grocery store. If you are living gluten-free and fortunate enough to have access to this amazing East Coast/New England chain, you know how lucky you are. I hear Trader Joe’s is great too, but don’t have access to one close by. Wegmans labels everything with a big orange G that is gluten-free and has cut my shopping time in half, easily! They’ve managed to bring back some of the convenience I’ve been deperately seeking. Now, if anyone can help with any ideas for simple meals on the go… I’d be eternally grateful!

8. I am rather new to the Gluten Free lifestyle with only being diagnosed with Celiac for now 3 1/2 months. So far I feel I am doing pretty good but I would have to say that I miss cooking with cream of chicken soup or really cream of anything soup. I know there has to be GF versions but I just haven’t tried them yet. So if anyone has a good suggestion, I’d love to hear. Thanks!

9. To Ina:
    Call customs. I don’t think it should be a problem because
    you are not bringing in anything live. Also remember
    Hawaii has a large Japanese
    population so yoy should be able to get rice noodles and rice snack.Also they have great
    macademia nuts there.It also may
    be worth to make some calls to Kona and find out if there it a
    health food store there where you could pick up some items.
    Also bring a note from you MD.
    explaining you condition and need for special foods.Also if there is nothing on Kona and
    you fly into Honalulu call health food stores there before
    you go to see what they have.
    You could also mail yourself a
    package to the address or the rental agent where get your keys for non perishable items.
    Hope my ideas help.

10. My biggest challenges are eating away from home and packing a lunch & snack for my 9yo daughter that she will actually eat. Snacks are especially troubling. GF granola bars are expensive & most are just gross. Our elem sch has a “wellness program” in place & I can’t send cereal or raisin-peanut-choc chip snack mix (things she’ll eat) w/o hearing a bunch of slack about there being healthier options available. Tried sending an apple w/peanut butter to spread and was told it takes too long to eat so don’t send it again & oranges are too messy. The snack is stored in their desk so sending yogurt or cheese is out of the question.

We were soooo happy to find that Uno’s has a separate gluten free menu..with pizza. Carrabba’s has GF options listed on their website and it tells you how to order the standard fare from the menu to make it safe. We stay away from fast-food joints anyway so they were never an issue but I do miss McDonald’s fries something awful. Vacations are challenging. Trying to find safe food on the road is a trick.

Am definitely going to try your GF flatbread recipe today & the wrap recipe linked in the text. I’ve been craving a sandwich & store-bought GF bread is just nasty regardless of what you do to it. I only use it for making stuffing.

11. Ina Gawne says:

Ina, I was worried as well and I was just flying to CA from WA. I emailed TSA (check your home airport’s website and you should be able to find their email) to find out. Most food is ok, as long as its in the original packaging and sealed if you are carrying it on and anything should be fine for checked bag (I took tupperware containers with pancake and roll mix and if they had looked in my bag, it would have just looked like some sort of powder to them; this stuff I checked). But to be safe, just email them and they should be able to help. I received a quick response and it was very lengthy and helpful as well. Best of luck!

12. I’ve gotten pretty good about the GF foods when I’m at home and have control over the ingredients in my food. The challenges arise when I’m not at home. Restaurants do not have a whole lot of gluten free options, and I’m getting weary of sending food back to the kitchen when it’s not made the way that I ordered it. Yes, **really** I don’t want bread on that sandwich or croutons or any kind of crunchy noodle on that salad. Visiting relatives is also a big challenge. In particular, my mother-in-law’s rotation of favorite family dishes often leaves me with nothing to eat. They live far away from any urban area that has health food stores, and standard supermarkets seem a little slow to catch up with GF products. Too many GF products are produced by small specialty companies which have not yet achieved the infrastructure for national distribution, with General Mills recent gluten-free reformulations being the only major exception. I have to admit that eating GF has altered my social life– in that I tend to avoid going to restaurants with my friends and it is a lot more complicated to plan a trip to visit relatives.

13. I have currently have several struggles.

1) I LOVE making pasta , it was my stress relief. The feel of the dough becoming increasingly silky as it was rolled again and again. The fun of shaping and drying and then eating… Needless to say I haven’t made any sense having to eliminate gluten from my diet. Is there a recipe on existence for homemade GF pasta dough?

2) What is the purpose of cider vinegar in GF breads?

3). Is there a list somewhere of which flour mixes definitely work best in which of your recipes?Also, which of the mixes would be likely to work as substitution in non-GF recipes (I.e. pastry, cookie, rustic bread, hole-y bread, etc.)?

Thanks so much for this site! It’s making the dietary and mental transition much easier.

14. More and more restaurants understand and work with gluten free restrictions. The biggest problem I have is going to someones house for dinner. People seem to have no idea what wheat or gluten is. So it makes it near impossible to explain to someone before hand and draws way too much attention to yourself. I hate watching other people eat stuff I can’t with a plate full of broccoli in front of me knowing I could eat well at home. You also don’t want to tell people what they should serve in their own home. I avoid these situations when possible.

15. holistickel says:

I agree, traveling is my biggest challenge being GF. I just traveled for the holidays and it’s always hard to find the GF products you’re used to in a new place. I wasted a few hours driving around to the different grocery and health food stores to find my essentials. You could try researching online the health food stores in the area and find the closest options. Call/email them ahead to find out what GF products they carry and then consider bringing only what you need to get by. I usually pack more than I realistically need to eat on the trip. And I was pleasantly surprised with some of the new GF products I tried while away:).

Because the airlines & airports usually don’t offer much for GF snacks or GF breakfast/lunch options, I bring my own. I usually pack a few slices of GF bread, maybe a breakfast muffin, some cookies and granola bars in my carryon. I’ve even made a sandwich ahead of time and brought that to eat once I’m at the airport. The airport stores are trying to be healthier and I usually can find a pretty good ‘to go’ salad there or at Starbucks. Security has never questioned me at all, but in case they do I keep at least one food item in it’s original GF wrap. That way I can explain my allergy if ever needed.

I found this link from TSA, related to carrying food items on the plane. The only issues really seem to be with liquid and gel-like substances. If it’s dry or pre-cooked, you’re probably good to go. Hope this helps and you have a good trip!

16. Shelley Orentein says:

My biggest challenge is finding foods for both my husband and I to eat. He is not a fan of most of the Gf substitutes that are around. I am not from the all time cooks, so my dinner recipe file is limited. I need quick, easy and tasty foods that even a fussy non celiac person can enjoy.

17. I work full time, have two kids and one on the way. My biggest challenge is keeping ready-to-eat or easy-to-prepare meals on hand. My whole family LOVES Gluten Free Cooking School’s pizza recipe and I ALWAYS keep the crust ingredients pre-measured in the freezer and the pizza sauce pre-made in the fridge, but it’s not like popping a Tombstone pizza in the oven after work. I refuse to pay an arm and a leg for frozen, gluten-free food that does not taste good. I do, however, always keep Dinty Moore Beef Stew on hand. It says “Gluten Free” right on the label! Make some mashed potatoes and green beans and you’ve got a decent meal.

18. I loved 12 grain Whole Wheat bread before becoming gluten free. I really miss it. The closest to it is Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Whole Grain Bread Mix. It just does have the texture and taste.
    The challenge has been finding a whole grain bread recipe that tastes good and is nutritious.
    I am a pretty good cook, so I just need a good recipe

19. Bill Tarin says:

After 1 year and three months of Celiac, I find that I have adjusted very well to eating at home. My biggest problem in that regards is that I live in a very small town and need to drive about 120 miles to Denver or Colorado Springs (same distance to each) to purchase gluten free products. As such, I usually have to buy a lot at once in order to make the trip and gas use worthwhile. My second biggest problem is when traveling. It is difficult at times to determine what menu items can be safely eaten at various restaurants and I have noticed that sometimes it takes some explaining on my part to the waiter/waitress that I cannot eat anything with wheat. Even the cooking staff can get confused in some restaurants. And if I order breakfast and say no toast please, I am sometimes asked if I want biscuits instead or a side of pancakes, even after saying I cannot eat bread. I find I stop a lot at Taco Bell for a quick and very light meal by getting hard shell tacos. Those have not bothered me. Mexican restaurants seem to be the easiest places to get a good meal without confusing the staff there and they have no problem understanding I want no flour tortillas. Another problem is the cost. It is just plain expensive. Hope these thoughts help.

20. Having the time to cook gluten-free is definitely my number one problem as I find that packaged gluten-free foods can be really expensive. My other problem is that I am allergic to eggs which rules out a lot of things too. I live in Australia and the public are becoming more aware of coeliac needs so the shops are stocking more gluten-free food but eating out can still be tricky. One big pizza chain has now introduced gluten-free bases and that’s a help as most fast food is off the menu.

21. Hi Ina,

My daughter travels to Europe and always travels with GF food, pastas and once even with a 5 lb bag of Pam’s Baking Mix! No problems at all going through Customs.

22. One thing my daughter really misses is 2 or 3 casseroles that I used to make. All require a condensed cream soup (either chicken or mushroom). I have tried everything I can think of as a substitute, but nothing works very well. I even emailed Campbell’s Soup Company…all to no avail. Can anyone help??

23. Working away from home (on the road) and sometimes forgetting the lunch I packed, or just getting stranded out of the house longer than I planned can be a big pain for me. Traveling is hard as I hate packing a pantry in my suitcase. (Note to INA: You aren’t technically leaving the US going to Hawaii, and I don’t recall having issues with taking dry packaged food there. Produce is totally off limits though, especially returning to the mainland. Call your airline(s) for specific rules. It may be worth taking a Dr’s note with you explaining why you need that food.)

My biggest challenge lately is family members. On one hand I have a sister who just doesn’t get why I’m gluten free because she’s never had an allergy in her life. She doesn’t care and doesn’t try to adjust for me at family events. On the other hand, with the success I’ve had going gluten free, and the shared symptoms with my dad, I’m about 90% sure he reacts to gluten too. But he just won’t take the plunge and his health suffers every day. It is sooooo frustrating to watch. Not really MY issue, but it sucks all the same.

24. Julie Harris says:

I am afraid to try cooking. There are so many different variations/recipes and how is one to know which one tastes good? I am on a limited income and the cost of GF concerns me. Maybe it is just the big leap from regular food to GF. And I love pastries…..I miss bear claws and danishes……cookies…..

25. Our hardest issue is when we go on vacations, especially for carbs. Our daughter (16) has had to eat gluten-free for 14 years, but our extended family still doesn’t always get it (they want to go to restaurants that are difficult to pick food, etc). She came home from Christmas vacation craving carbs so we have had gluten-free pasta for the last few nights.

26. About the condensed cream of soup problem: Betty Hagman’s ‘the Gluten-free gourmet cooks fast and Healthy’ has a great Creamed Soup Base mix. We now make that for our casseroles, etc. HTH.

27. Janne Ingram says:

Yes as others have said travel is a real problem, even if you take your own it doesn’t stay fresh for very long and then you have no way to make more. I also have the added problem of being allergic to egg as well as gluten and almost all GF food available from shops, cafes and pre-packaged includes egg! They often leave out dairy for multi-allergy shoppers but use egg in almost everything, so its often impossible for me to buy any ready made GF food.

28. RE: good GF bread
    Becky I agree that most storebought GF breads are nasty. Don’t give up until you try bread from Udi’s, which is an artisan bakery in Denver. Their gluten free master chef has developed a proprietary protein blend that gives their GF bread *nearly* the texture of real bread– holes and all. Let me attest to you that it’s possible to eat Udi’s multigrain GF bread without toasting it first. Udi’s also makes GF frozen baked pizza crust (just top and pop it in the oven!), blueberry and lemon muffins, and cinnamon rolls that taste really good… In my area Udi’s is carried at Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers, and some locally owned markets. I am not an employee, only a devoted fan: I drove over 500 miles to visit their cafe and meet their chef, just to thank him for this bread. You can order online http://www.udisfood.com.
    RE: Cream of Whatever Soup
    I agree with a bunch of you that your life will get a lot easier when you can substitute a condensed cream of (whatever) soup. I found recipes on another gluten free blog– hopefully this link will work for you….
    (ok looks like you will have to cut and paste but it’s worth it!!)
    The last recipe on this list is a substitute for Cream of Mushroom soup– I have adapted it to make it easier than the original recipe– you can make this in less than 5 min if you use a chopper. I use this recipe at least once a week. This “condensed” recipe performs just like condensed cream of mushroom soup in casseroles, etc.
    My adaptation of this recipe, rough equivalent of one can cream of mushroom soup:
    3/4 c gf low sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon dried minced onion
    1 can (4 oz) mushroom stems and pieces- low sodium
    1 tablespoon dried parsley
    few dashes of pepper
    1/2 c dried nonfat milk powder
    2 tablespoons corn starch
    Dump chicken broth, onion, parsley, pepper in a small saucepan & start to boil. Chop up canned mushrooms in a food processor, then dump then into the broth. After broth boils add milk, stirring to avoid lumps. Put cornstarch in a small cup & add a small amt of water to make a liquid (this keeps the cornstarch from lumping up). Pour cornstarch mixture into broth & stir, remove from heat as soon as it thickens.
    Hope this helps. It’s a relief to know that you guys are having some of the same problems I’m having.
    P.S. Bill, I’ve heard that Taco Bell’s beef taco meat flavoring has gluten in it. I used to think that was a great cheat too– but as I eliminated more sources of gluten in my diet, I lost my ability to tolerate Taco Bell. : ( Hope this doesn’t happen to you!

29. One of my challenges is finding the ingredients that I need to cook and bake. I live in a big city, so there’s definitely plenty of GF products around, but I like to make most things from scratch and find myself going to one store to get millet flour, another for tapioca starch, another for sorghum, etc. I wish that everything was in one place!

30. I’m nearly 63 and never learned how or liked to cook. could definitely use a ckg schl. my problem is making the same thing that i eat over many meals. i also fast food it 3-4x a week. i bot some gf ckbks but haven’t cracked them yet. hubby pretty much fends for himself. the cost of gf is huge. amazon sells bulk and i can’t justify the price if i may not like it.

31. Availability of gluten-free foods at the grocery store. They start carrying items, and then don’t stock them anymore. I’m forced to rely on Wal-Fail and Publix (better) as the nearest Whole Foods is over 100 miles away. I live in a small Southern city, and most people have never heard of gluten or celiac disease. One herb store in my city carries Pizzas by George and light tapioca bread, thank goodness. I’m still not great with the bread machine. ;) And traveling is a nightmare for me. I won’t even stay out of town overnight anymore.

32. My son can’t have gluten, casein, lactose, soy, peanuts, or sesames. Argh….I’ve done ok with homemade gluten-free bread that we all like but will be trying the flat bread recipe you just posted. However, one of my huge challenges is finding comparable things like biscuits that typically have butter-like ingredients. I heard that Earth Balance butter sticks work ok but they’re out of the question because of the soy ingredients. Any ideas for light, fluffy biscuits?

33. Ina Gawne says:

Hello to all that responded to my questions regarding travelling: Thankyou so much for all of your info and help! I will bring a doctor’s note, I did check the airline website…but very little info there. Learning that I could bring pre-packaged foods is a god send, and I will also pack some of my premixes for muffins and bread! It is so heartwarming to read all of your responses….I can sooo relate to all of them. The frustrations of eating out, family not understanding, social functions, been there many times over the last 15 years. Now, I make everything from scratch….just keep experimenting with different recipes till you find the ones that are good. It has been a challenge for sure…but now, we love our GF food better than anything else. Sure there were some failures along the way…but I just kept at it….cooking, baking, experimenting, till the food tasted great! Thankyou to all for your kind support, Ina

34. I am trying to come up with a list of foods/meals that are naturally gluten (and casein) free. My focus has been too much on how to make gluten items gluten free. I really need a bunch of recipes and snack ideas that I can get at any grocery store (rice dinners, salads, etc) and that I can eat at most anyone’s home. I need meals that can be made at someone’s house without them having to buy special flour or ingredients. I know that it shouldn’t be hard to come up with a list of foods, but for some reason I can’t think outside of bread and milk meals.

35. I miss stopping to pick up fried chicken on the way home when I am too tired to cook for the family. We made the flour tortillas this weekend and they were a huge hit, so I don’t miss flour tortillas anymore.

36. Angela
    Go to Amazon to get all kinds
    of gluten free items.Also go
    to the gluten free mall.They will all ship to you.Go online
    if there is a product you like
    and it’s made here call the manufactor directly.See if he’s
    got a local distributor or if
    you can buy a case from him
    cheaper then at a retail store.
    Doesn’t hurt to try Kinninek
    I think that’s how it’s spelled
    they are in Canada and they will ship for a very fair price.

37. holistickel says:

keri,
    Health Valley has an Organic Cream of Chicken soup that is gluten free. i found it at my regular grocery store.

38. I agree with Smitty, church or other luncheons are really challenging. It’s so hard to know whether the curry, salad dressing or other things are GF. Plus I get a bit scared that my dish will get eaten up before I get to it when everything else is bread or pasta. *sob*

One of my biggest challenges is cooking lunch every day. I know that it’s only going to get worse when I start working. [I'm studying at home] It’s so hard when I’m feeling sick or just meh – which is quite often. Yeah, lunch is challenging for several reasons.

39. Traveling can be tough. I use the Carl Buddig lunch meats
    for in the car. Some tortilla or potato chips, some carrot
    sticks and cucumber sticks, hard boiled eggs for those who
    can eat them, and even a salad with dressing on the side
    can work. Fruit of course also.

If you are staying in a hotel, call ahead and ask if there
    is a refrigerator available for your room. I’ve done it and
    it makes bringing meals already prepared an option. I’ve
    brought chicken, roast beef, potato salad, salads and dressing,etc.

I find family get togethers the hardest, because the relatives don’t understand. It’s so hard to be strict on the diet and still be tactful enough when you have to tell them you can’t eat what they have.

40. I’m new to the GF way of eating, but hope it will help clear up my eczema/skin problems, and help me lose weight – I have dramatically changed my eating habits in a positive way, however the weight continues to creep up. Am in the process of making a month-long plan to do an experiment, and hope to see some changes. thank you for your site!

41. My challenge is dinner parties! When we go over to others homes for a meal, I feel like I am being rude when I am extra inquisitive about the preparation of the food. I do not make a big deal about it. I just ask every ingredient of everything that’s being served. Trying to act more interested in the recipe makes the “chef” feel good, and it helps me to know what I can and cannot eat. The attempt is not to draw attention to a disease that most don’t care to understand. Just a few days ago, my mother-in-law tried to gluten me because she didn’t understand the difference when I asked for corn tortillas and not flour. Wondering still if this was a mistake?? Lol…but either way, most people are just plain ignorant and the majority make assumptions about this diet. It’s not my job to educate EVERYONE. Just the people who care enough to learn.

42. My daughter and husband were diagnosed with celiacs about 10 years ago. Since that time we have done well. We live in a Vancouver BC and frequent the Italian Deli’s which have excellent corn pasta shipped right from Italy. They also have crackers and cookies. We have found resaurants which have gluten free pizza and have learned what food we can and cannot eat when we are out. Our family and friends are great -they all try really hard to be careful. We have traveling down to a science now. Give us any resaurant and we can tell you what is on the menu and what we can eat there. Cooking at home has been fun and interesting – however here is my problem. We have great bread, great pasta, great pretty much everything = except cinnamon rolls! Every attempt is just well bad. Anyone who has a good cinnamon roll receipe out there? Would love to hear from you.

43. My greatest challenge is eating out in restaurants. We are active socially and eat out often. Fortunately most seem pleased and try to help when you ask about ingredients, but it can be difficult. It would be nice to have a city blog with suggested restaurants and comments.
    We are fortunate to live within driving distance of a Whole Foods grocery store. It is worth the drive to stock up on breads. I love their Prairie bread. I’m also a big fan of Pamela’s Baking and Pancake mix. I use it just like I used regular flour for gravy, stews, pancakes, potatoes, etc.

44. My biggest challenge is finding food that meets my needs when we are not at home or I don’t have time to cook from scratch and also the cost. I and my son are both gluten free, soy free and milk free as well as keeping it as natural as possible. You will find a food that looks convenient then realize it has milk or soy or MSG or something and be stuck. I also struggle with church potlucks and family gatherings. After 5 years on this diet I am becoming a very good cook so I don’t really miss the old foods, but I miss the convenience of just dropping by and getting a pizza or a bucket of chicken or whatever. The other problem is that I live 85 miles from the whole foods market in Mountain Brook, Alabama and my local health food store’s selections are limited.

45. Patricia McClelland says:

My biggest challenge is having to be gluten and corn free . I substituted tapioca flour for the soy and masa harina and used potatoe starch for the corn starch . It turned out quite nice . It is difficult being corn free as well , as almost all gluten free products use corn flour as a substitute . So I have learned to make my own mixes at home . I am still learning as I found this all purpose recipe to be better then the one I was using . Thanks so much for your site and keep it up .

46. I get frustrated with the price of things. I don’t get many prepared gluten free items due to price but even flours and rice pasta gets pricey. My husband and 6 year old daughter are celiac and it is just easier to keep the house gluten free. I also try to keep my weekly budget from $100 to $120 a week. It kills me to purchase GF AP Flour at nearly $20 for 5lbs. Even when purchasing flours to mix my own AP flour it doesn’t come close to regular AP flour at $3 or less for 5lbs.

Oh and last thing I have noticed… I used to live in the Philadelphia area and recently moved to the Detroit area. Things like Tinkyada and Bob’s Red Mill are marked up almost $2. Insane!

47. I am a good cook always have been. Now that I am gluten free seems like everything I make is a flop. I get tired of trying and retrying when it use to be so easy!!!

48. Rachel Clark says:

My family has been gluten free for a year and a half now. i find it very easy to be gluten free if i have a plan, a menu prepared and shopping done. Being super busy and not planning is so hard….its not like you can just throw in a pizza quick if your in a hurry.( well technically you can but gf doesnt always taste good.) another big challenge for me is party planning. i have four small children and never know what to make for birthday parties meal wise that will be safe for our family and enjoyable for our guests as well. i like to keep my house gluten free but at times like it would be easier to have some gluten in the house for guests but i’d rather not. any party ideas out there?

49. My biggest challenge is trying to find something to eat quickly. My bf can go into a grocery store and immediately pick up what he wants and be done….where I end up wandering around panicking because I really want bread/cheese or some other item I can’t have (I’m also lactose intolerant). Also, I only get a 30 minute lunch break for work and trying to find something to make the night before that still tastes good the next day..or even trying to grab something in the morning that isn’t the exact same thing I’ve eaten two days in a row is difficult.

50. I didn’t read every single post, so I hope I am not repeating here. My greatest gluten free challenge is to find a healthy whole grain, sprouted grain and YEAST FREE sandwich or french-type bread recipe to make at home. Eggs are okay, but I’m allergic to gluten, casein, baker’s and brewer’s yeast, and cannot use cane sugar either. Help!